Our first meeting was such a great time, and we are so glad you could be there! In case you missed it, Rose Matlak, one of our Mentor Moms spoke at our kick-off meeting, and provided a lot of insight and encouragement to us as mothers.
She reminded us that the role of motherhood is the most important job we have. Motherhood is not unimportant, and is far from glamorous, without difficulty or messes and disasters. We are all doing an important job and need support, love and encouragement. We should all encourage one another, instead of comparing ourselves to other mothers or feel inadequate as a mom. We can also find support through her and the other Mentor Moms; Martha and Mary.
The roles of a Mentor Mom are:
- To be a FRIEND: Someone who is willing to be supportive and vulnerable.
- To be a COUNSELOR: To be a good listener, who hears how one feels with out telling them how to feel.
- To be an ADVISOR: One who is content to offer quiet support, but to offer advice when asked.
- To be a ROLE MODEL: A mother who is a great example, and who’s actions support who they say they are.
- To be a TEACHER: An experienced mother who can offer guidance based on experience.
- To be an ADVOCATE: One who reminds those around us our goals, mission and purpose and stands up for our MOPS group success.
Rose stressed that she, Martha, and Mary are here to be loving, to provide a listening ear, and prayer support when we need it, but they won’t be quick to give advice. They will provide this support first and will give advice only when asked.
Rose, Martha and Mary are very excited for the 2013-14 MOPS year and can’t wait to get to know each of you more!
1 Thessalonians 2:7-8
As apostles of Christ….we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. We loved you so much we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us.